To rate this resource, click a star:
In this lesson, students play the roles of paleontologists on a dig. They "unearth" a few fossils at a time and attempt to reconstruct the animal the fossils represent.
Life Science, Nature and Process of Science
one class period
Correspondence to the Next Generation Science Standards is indicated in parentheses after each relevant concept. See our conceptual framework for details.
- Scientists ask and address questions. (P1, P3, NOS4)
- Scientists base their ideas on evidence from the natural world. (P3)
- Scientific ideas may change with new evidence. (NOS3)
- Scientists observe, explore, discover, and communicate with one another.
- Scientists don't always agree with one another. (P7)
- Scientists explain their ideas and evidence to one another. (P7, P8)
- Scientists work together.