Drs. Lederman compare two methods of teaching about mitosis, emphasizing how to enhance a lesson by incorporating the nature of science.
Lederman, Norman and Judith
Life Science, Nature and Process of Science
One to two class periods
Correspondence to the Next Generation Science Standards is indicated in parentheses after each relevant concept. See our conceptual framework for details.
- Scientific knowledge is open to question and revision as new ideas surface and new evidence is discovered. (P4, P6, NOS3)
- Scientific ideas cannot be absolutely proven.
- The process of science involves observation, exploration, testing, communication, and application.
- Scientists look for patterns in their observations and data. (P4, P5, NOS2)
- Different scientists may interpret the same data in different ways. (P7)